Tuesday 11 August 2015

'Tis the season

Summer is the time for celebrations. There are a lot of people getting engaged, having babies, getting married, buying houses...
Family and friends gather together to shower the guests of honour with beautiful gifts and love. They eat finger food and sip champagne punch. They play silly games and share words of advice. I'm sure we've all been to a shower where you save all the bows from the gifts and make the guest of honour wear them as some sort of hat. In fact there are pictures somewhere of me wearing said hat...
I think the food and drink really can make or break the party. Guest look forward to munching on
things like spinach dip, fruit trays, cucumber sandwiches and desserts. Traditionally a cake would adorn the food table ready to be cut into and shared, but lately cupcakes have been gaining popularity. They are the perfect size for snacking and create less mess as you don't have to worry about a cake knife and forks for everyone.
I was asked to make cupcakes for a wedding shower, something pretty and girly. I ended up making 4 flavours, vanilla, salted caramel, pink satin and pink champagne. I think pink champagne is a perfect cupcake (or cake) flavour for a shower, even the name sounds celebratory. The decorations were delicate and feminine. Most of them had tiny sugar flours atop the buttercream, but I choose to decorate a dozen of them in a quilted fondant pattern. Cupcakes or cake are meant to sit out at a party and be part of the decorations. I wanted to make sure they fit in with the theme.
When people take a big step in their life, it calls for a celebration and what better way to celebrate than with cupcakes? After all, I always say 'A party without cake is just a meeting.'


No comments:

Post a Comment